Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tiger mums and GRCs

It is well-documented from education studies that when teachers and schools set a high but realistic expectation for their students, these students tend to do better (see Rutter 1979, Fifteen Thousand Hours). Schools where weaker students are identified and constantly bombarded with the message that they are not good enough will tend to do badly. The psychological effect of subtle messages around us has a larger power than many of us realize. It is common sense that constantly being told that you're not smart will probably have a devastating effect on your self-esteem and confidence, and inadvertently have the effect of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Now let's suppose that a government and her citizens have a teacher-student relationship. This analogy might seem a little of a stretch for most countries, but in campaign-loving and paternalistic Singapore this dynamic seems to exist. From the 'Stop at Two' to littering to speaking English, the government constantly preaches to her citizens the lesson currently in vogue, attempting to change behaviors through a blend of nudges and shoves. If the government were to learn any lessons from education research, how should it approach its relationship with her citizens?

The Chinese culture seems to believe in the tough-love way of teaching. Tiger Mom thought nothing of belittling her daughter to push her towards excellence. My JC Chinese teacher exemplified this when she told me I should thank my lucky stars for getting a B for my AO exam and not waste my time trying for a better grade. Was she trying to spur me to a better grade? Or did she really think an A grade was beyond my abilities? Either way I was hurt. I often feel the same hurt when I read the Straits Times. Hurt by the low expectation that the government seems to set for her citizens. Hurt that they constantly belittle the intelligence and collective spirit of Singaporeans.

'Singaporean votes are not mature enough to vote beyond racial lines', we are told over and over again. That is why we need a GRC system to ensure minority representation. Yet, I always want to scream at the newpapers. 'Please let me decide for myself! Stop telling me what you think I will do!' This relationship between the government and her people is Uniquely Singaporean. I do not know of another country where politicians can get away with insulting the electorate. Instead, in most places you get a more encouraging 'yes-you-can-do-it' message.

“A poll says 90 percent of Chinese Singaporeans say they will elect a non-Chinese as PM. Yes, this is the ideal. You believe these polls? Utter rubbish. They say what is politically correct,”

Well guess what? After a few decades of being told we are not ready for full racial integration, we might really start believing it.

What if I heard this message instead?


We are proud to be multiracial and multicultural. We may still be stuck voting along racial lines (I don't personally believe this to be true), but let's try to be conscious of this and aspire to be a nation that can vote in a minority candidate! I believe that Singapore can and will look beyond racial differences, because all Singaporeans ultimately wish for such a society for their children.


I might just start believing this...

No comments:

Post a Comment